Itchy Skin Bumps
Itchy skin bumps are annoying, distracting and irritating. Fortunately, there are a number of natural treatments available for itchy skin bumps. The most effective ones are illustrated in this article. However, it will be highly beneficial if we first concentrate on the reasons behind the occurrence of itchy skin bumps so that you can prevent it in the future.
Causes of Itchy Skin Bumps
Allergy: One of the most common causes of itchy skin bumps all over the body is allergy. Some people are allergic to animal hair while some are allergic to pollen. In fact, the allergy can be a response to a topical skin cream, a shampoo or particular chemicals such as sodium laureth sulfate. When such things come in contact with your body, your immune system produces a mild response known as an allergic reaction. The reaction may involve formation of bumps and lumps on the skin, accompanied with itching and a burning sensation. Insect Bites: Formation of itchy skin bumps on hands, face, legs or any other body part that is generally left exposed, can be due to insect bites. When an insect bites you, it injects its saliva. The saliva, being a foreign substance, acts as an antigen and stimulates the immune system of your body, which leads to a series of reactions. Appearance of itchy red bumps on the skin, is part of such a reaction. Skin Diseases: Various skin diseases such as psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema, folliculitis, hidradenitis suppurativa and shingles (herpes zoster) can also give you itchy skin bumps. Treatment of Itchy Skin Bumps
- Applying essential oils such as lavender and rosemary on itchy skin bumps can provide a soothing and comforting effect.
- Mix one tablespoon of jojoba (or any nut oil), one tablespoon of tea tree oil and three tablespoons of neem oil. Keep it in a refrigerator, in order to cool it. Apply it on the itchy skin rash before going to bed at night. It will reduce the itching and the irritation.
- Spread cucumber juice or place a slice of cucumber on the itchy skin bumps and lumps for a quick recovery.
- Aloe vera, equipped with both antiseptic and antibiotic properties, reduces swelling and itching in the affected area.
- Another natural itchy skin bumps treatment that you can try in the comfort of your home is turmeric powder. Make a paste by mixing one tablespoon of turmeric powder with a few drops of milk. Spread it on the itchy skin bumps on arms, face or any other body part. Leave it on for about 10 minutes. Turmeric gives you fast, positive results because of its antiseptic properties.
- Honey is well known for its antiseptic, soothing, and healing effects. Apply it on the affected area for about 15-20 minutes, and then wash it off with water.
- A medicated bath can also lend some comfort. Fill half a bathtub with warm water. Add half a cup of baking soda and cornstarch. Mix well and soak yourself in it for about 10 minutes. This will also help reduce irritation and itching.
- Apply fresh milk on itchy skin bumps as this fastens the healing process and reduces the redness and swelling.
- Over-the-counter antihistamines and antibiotics can provide relief and comfort. Read more on allergy relief.
In case the aforementioned natural remedies for itchy skin bumps do not help to a great extent, and you don’t notice any improvement in the swelling, redness and itchiness in the affected area, you must visit a dermatologist for necessary medical assistance.